Sunday, September 6, 2015

Origins - Part Five (or "The One With All The Diagnoses")

My return to Jefferson Headache Center was marked with a ton of paperwork. Just like the first time I had gone, I was required to fill out sheet after sheet of paperwork detailing my pain, my medical history, my medications, and my psychological state. I met with a psychologist (Dr. K) and the person who would become my new neurologist, Dr. N.

Once all the routine questions were out of the way, Dr. N began telling me what Jefferson could do to help me. Unlike Johns Hopkins (to be fair, Johns Hopkins may have changed since I've been there, but at the time I left, these options were not given to me), Jefferson taught patients how to self inject certain medications, including DHE and Toradol. They also offered 3 day outpatient infusions (posts on my infusions can be found here, here, and here) and inpatient stays in Methodist (posts on Methodist can be found herehere, here, here, and here). I was given new meds to try, including the injectables and told to call the nurse's line if I had any issues (the nurse's line is open Monday through Friday from 9 am to 12 pm. You leave a message and they return your call within 72 hours). 

After a few visits, Dr. N reccommended I try Botox to help reduce the frequency and/or severity of my migraines. The first time I tried it, the injections were quite painful and I didn't notice any significant change. Dr. N told me it could take up to three tries to notice a difference, so I decided to try the three times. I went every three months and after the third round, I began to notice a difference. That was over three years ago, and not only are the shots less painful now that I'm used to them, but I can tell about two weeks before I'm due for my next round that it's beginning to wear off. 

Also during this time, I was given a tilt table test and was diagnosed with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). During one of my stays in Methodist I developed a blood clot and was later disagnosed with Factor V Leiden, a blood clotting disorder. And after that, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia during a visit to my neurologist. Which means, all told, I have 12 different conditions, 6 of which are considered common (fibromyalgia, TMD, chronic migraines, anxiety, depression, and eczema), 5 of which are considered rare (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Intracranial Hypertension, Factor V Leiden, and Halo Nevi), and 1 that some believe is rare and others believe is not (Chiari Malformation). 

Coming Soon - Origins - Part Six!

No comments:

Post a Comment