Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Infusion Day 2

I dragged my self out of bed this morning and prepared for my second day of infusion. We (my mom and I), left early, because I always fear we'll get stuck in traffic. We didn't, of course, and I arrived at the completely empty office at 7am (I was supposed to be there between 7:30 and 7:45am). Eventually,  the waiting room began to fill and I was called back by the nurse practitioner (Jen).

Since I wasn't feeling nauseous this morning, and I managed to not throw up during the exam, Jen decided to increase my D.H.E.  She also increased my Benadryl when I mentioned that I had slept very little during yesterday's infusion.

Shortly after that, I made my way over to the infusion unit.  Within seconds of entering, I was called back by a nurse. She offered me the same room I had yesterday, or I could chose a bigger room. Since I am a creature of habit, I chose the same room. Perhaps tomorrow, I'll chose a different room so I can compare them.

Since I still had bruises from the IVs from yesterday, the nurse studied my right arm and hand for a good place for the next IV. I mentioned that I generally get IVs in my hand and she replied that she could feel the scars from all those IVs. Despite this, my hand was the best option, so that's where my IV went.




Things went fairly well at first.  The first dose of D.H.E. made me nauseous, but that went away after half an hour.  About half way through the magnesium running, I told my nurse that it was burning my hand, so she stopped it there and moved on to the next med.  By the time it came for my second round of D.H.E., I was quite woozy from all the Benadryl, so the nurse talked to Jen and they decided to skip the rest of the Benadryl.  The nurse then gave me the D.H.E.  I was fine - at first.  After about five minutes, I became extremely nauseous and a minute after that, I was throwing up my lunch.

My nurse quickly set up a bag of zofran to take care of my nausea, and as soon as the bag was finished, she set up a second one.  By the time I was done, I was an hour later than they had predicted I'd be (luckily, my mom didn't mind waiting), and I was no longer nauseous, although I was still quite woozy.

The only other things of note that happened were that I discovered a small lump in my left arm and was told to keep a watch on it, in case it was a blood clot (it is now 8:33pm and the lump is barely there anymore.  I think I can safely predict that it is not a blood clot).  Also, my right hand is still swollen and cold from the IV,  which made typing this a joy.

That's it for day 2.  I'm hoping day 3 really kicks butt, because when I left this afternoon I was at a 4 pain wise, and now I'm back up to a 6.

Fingers crossed people!

No comments:

Post a Comment