Sunday, September 20, 2015

21 Things (Part 2)

And now for the second half of the 21 Things!

11. Keeping up with your classmates or colleagues can leave you feeling exhausted. 
A few years ago, I was in school to become a sign language interpreter. Every time I had a migraine and missed class, I fell further behind. My anxiety skyrocketed and eventually, I had to withdrawal from the program. I simply couldn't keep up with my classmates and the demands of my professors. 

12. But a good support system can get you through almost anything. 
To quote a previous blog post, "I have friends and family backing me up. They're the reason I made it through my 20s with some sanity. They were the bright spots in my life when everything else seemed dull and grey. They never gave up on me, and for that, I'm eternally grateful. I don't know what I would do without them and I don't intend to find out".

13. Especially when it's your family. 
My family is extremely supportive of me. They never blame me when I'm in pain and can't do something and they do their best to accommodate me and make me comfortable. My mom tries to be there every day when I'm in the hospital and if she can't be there, my dad or my sister come instead. 

14. It's important to celebrate all of your victories, even if they seem small.
I celebrate all of my victories, big or small - getting my Bachelor's degree, restarting this blog, going a week without migraines...

15. It's easy to blame yourself, even though it's not your fault. 
As I mentioned in number 11, I had to drop out of school at one point due to my migraines. I felt like a failure for quite a while. It took a bit of time and a bit of perspective for me to make peace with it. 

16. Your normal may not make sense to others. 
My normal involves heavy duty drugs and uncomfortable procedures. My normal involves more doctors visits in a month than most people have in a year. My normal includes sleep and ice and meditation. My normal isn't your normal. 

17. You can try to hide an illness, but that doesn't mean it goes away. 
I fake it sometimes. I think everyone with chronic pain does. That doesn't mean my pain isn't that bad, it just means whatever else is going on is more important. Eventually, I'll pay the price for ignoring the pain, but it's usually worth it.

18. Keeping up with everyday tasks can be difficult.
Some days, I can't keep up with everyday tasks. Some days, I can only lie in bed. But those tasks will still be waiting for me and they'll be growing day by day until I'm well enough to try and tackle them again. So usually, even if I don't feel that great, I try to get some stuff done every day. 

19. No matter how strong you are, ignorant comments still hurt. 
I'm lucky, because I've encountered very few ignorant comments. But I have had professors doubt me when I ask for accommodations and people look at me funny when I use the elevator for one floor. Even though I'm stronger than I used to be, it still hurts. 

20. Illness can dash your dream of starting a family of your own. 
I'm not looking to start a family right now. But that doesn't mean I won't want one in the future. Unfortunately, a lot of my conditions are genetic. Do I get pregnant, and risk passing these things on to my child? It's a tough question, and one I don't have the answer to. 

21. But, despite all of the challenges, you still manage to come out a stronger, better person.
100% stronger, 100% better!

No comments:

Post a Comment