Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Happy Birthday!

Today is my 30th birthday!  I remember, back when I was 19 years old, freaking out because I would be 20, and no longer a teenager. And if I had known what my 20s were going to be like, I probably would have been even more freaked out. Because my 20s weren't fun. Sure, they had their fun moments, but those moments were overshadowed by brain surgery, hospitalizations, gall bladder removal, and more diagnoses than I have fingers. That's why I'm so excited about my 30s - because I want to make them everything my 20s were not. That's not to say there won't be any medical problems in my 30s. I really can't prevent that kind of thing. But I can meet my 30s with joy and excitement instead of dread. I am determined to do the things that are traditionally done in your 20s: get a job, find an apartment, maybe date and find someone to love. And if I don't accomplish these things, that's ok, because I tried. 

Even more important, I have friends and family backing me up. They're the reason I made it through my 20s with some sanity. They were the bright spots in my life when everything else seemed dull and grey. They never gave up on me, and for that, I'm eternally grateful. I don't know what I would do without them and I don't intend to find out. So if you're a friend or family member reading this, guess what?  You're stuck with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment