Saturday, June 13, 2015

June is Headache Disorder Awareness Month

In honor of Headache Disorder Awareness Month, I thought I'd share some information about migraines. Because they are much more than "just a headache". 





*Update*
For those interested, I get all four stages when I have a migraine. During prodrome, I get excessive yawning, food cravings, and occasionally neck pain and mood changes. During the aura stage, I get allodynia and occasionally tinnitus and visual hallucinations. Unfortunately, I cannot use these as signs of a migraine and pretreat myself, because I get these symptoms very frequently and at least 50% of the time, I don't get a migraine.  I would be using up precious medications treating nothing half the time. 

I get a range of symptoms during the headache phase, including moderate to severe head pain, made worse by physical activity, nausea/vomiting, neck pain, photophobia, phonophobia, osmophobia, dizziness, confusion, and eye pain. My migraine symptoms during the headache phase can range from one or two of these things, to ALL of these things.

During postdrome, I have everything listed - fatigue, brain fog, and depressed mood.  These usually last a few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment