Saturday, June 13, 2015

Sleep

Sleep is a precious commodity when I have a headache or migraine, especially when I'm stuck in a cycle like I am right now. It is currently 3:37 am, and here I am, writing a blog post instead of getting the sleep I know my body needs.  Why am I awake, then?

1. Medication side effects - currently I am suffering from heart burn, a side effect of Naproxen.
2. Insomnia - I've been sleeping so much during the day, that I can't always sleep through the night properly.
3. Head pain - sometimes my head hurts so much that it wakes me from sleep and keeps me awake.

The unfortunate thing is, there isn't much I can do about it. Sure, I could take medicine for the heart burn. It might not work though. And sure, I could try not sleeping during the day. But when you're taking multiple medicines that all cause drowsiness, staying awake isn't always an option, no matter how hard you try. And as for the head pain, if anyone has an idea how to fix that so I can sleep, I would love you forever.

I did, in fact, take medicine for the heart burn and I'm waiting for it to kick in. But there's nothing I can do about the insomnia and head pain. So instead, I do my best to distract myself, hoping that, with time, I will fall asleep again. 

I sincerely hope that everyone else stuck with a headache or migraine or any kind of pain is getting a good nights sleep tonight. They say misery loves company, but, in this case, that's definitely not true. I wouldn't wish my problems on anyone, and I think most people with any type of chronic pain would agree. Not to say there aren't times when I think, "If only they knew what it was like" about someone. Who doesn't? But I truly wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Because even though I can find humor in my life, it also takes a great deal of strength to persevere, strength that I'm not even sure I have sometimes. But I always manage to find it somewhere, whether by myself, or from the support of my family and friends. And I will continue to do so.

It is now 3:56 am, and I'm still awake. 

I think my heartburn is gone, though!  Here's to small victories!

No comments:

Post a Comment