Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Methodist Story Time!

This post isn't actually about my last stay in Methodist (which was in June/July). This is about my previous stay (which was in March). 

When I was admitted in March, I was considered an emergency. I had gone in for infusion and two days later, ended up in the ER with severe pain. I saw a nurse practitioner the next week and they admitted me to Methodist on the same day. Unfortunately, they didn't have a bed available for me right away, so I spent most of the day waiting and in pain. Finally, a room was made available and I settled in. Among my belongings were two chargers - a white iPad charger and a black Samsung phone charger. 

I later found out the person who had the room before me was a man. I know this because he came back and tried to break into my room. It turns out he had left his cell phone charger behind when he left. He called the hospital and was informed that the charger had been found and was placed in a locked office. The woman the office belonged to had already left, so they told him to come back the next day and pick it up. 

However, that night, after visiting hours were over, he showed up. He arrived as a nurse was exiting my room and saw my chargers. He then began shouting in the hallway, insisting that my black cell phone charger was his. He tried multiple times to get past the nurse and into my room. I sat there in my bed terrified that he would get in and hurt me. 

The nurses were eventually able to get into the locked office and retrieve his phone charger. After he left, I told my nurse that I had been afraid and she told me she would have tackled him rather than let him in my room. I had always liked all of the nurses who work the headache unit, but she became my favorite. She later called the security desk, furious, to find out why they had let him up. I don't know what they told her, but an investigation was launched and I was questioned about what happened by security the next day. I don't know if anything ever came of the investigation because I never heard any more abut the incident after that. 

And that's the most exciting and frightening thing that ever happened to me at Methodist. I would like to reassure anyone going into Methodist that this is not a common occurrence at all. I had been in Methodist at least five times before that incident and nothing like it had ever happened to me or anyone else (that I know of) during my stays. I hope that since this occurred, security has been tightened and it will hopefully never happen again.

Coming soon - Methodist Day 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment