Tuesday, October 16, 2012

PIC Lines (or "How My Elbow Is Making Me Violent")

I'm taking a quick break from telling you about the origins of my (many) disorders in order to share with you what's happening to me right now. I am currently a Methodist Inpatient Headache Unit fighting down a terrible migraine.  But that is not what I want to talk about (it will be mentioned later when I am a bit more lucid and a bit...less drugged up).  Right now I want to tell you about the war currently being waged between my PIC line and my skin.  I am very aware of how weird that sounds, but it is entirely true.

Let me start off by saying that, surprisingly, my arm didnt't much seem to mind the PIC line.  It was the sticky thing they put over it to hold it in place that pissed the hell out of my skin.  And thus began the war between my skin vs. the sticky thing.  Considering all the sticky thing had to do was, well, stay in my arm, this is more a list of my arm's victories.
The very first thing my arm did was convince my skin to stop letting the sticky thing holding the PIC Line in to stick to it.  So about two days in, a large section of the sticky was no longer stuck to my skin.  Victory - skin.

Then a new sticky was put in place with the addition of some extra stickies to hold it down. Victory - sticky.

Next, my skin broke out in Exzema all around and under the sticky. The sticky had no comeback and now I'm miserable.  Victory - skin.

Skin had sticky peeling off again, sticky responded with tape, which didn't last long.  They kept going back and forth until this newest one.

I have to admit, this one is a winner.  My elbow has been enlisted and every time it bends too much, the PIC line occludes.  The problem is, I don't know who to blame for it (I just know it's annoying as hell!).

So there you have it.  Someone won.  And whoever it is better make this machine shut up before I throw it threw a window.


New terms used in this post will be defined in the "Confused?" section as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment